Thursday, December 20, 2007

Some Mid-Week News

For a while here, I have been as busy as the proverbial beaver. Some times life just keeps one moving in directions that were not expected. Ah well. Just like a dry spell or long fall rain, all I can do is ride it out.

There does seem to be some interesting agriculture items in the news recently. Top on the list is the Farm Bill, recently signed by President Bush. (Some details here at the Farm Futures website) Living in the city, I hear and read quite a bit of interesting commentary... comments like, "Those damned farmers are getting rich!" and "I want to farm so I an get all that government money!" and "All those farmers and their pick-up trucks. Wish I could get government money to buy me a new one." Maybe it's just the people in Las Vegas, but I honestly think city dwellers are mostly clueless when it comes to farming.

I am not going to agree or disagree with the things in the bill. I do think that many people don't realize that there is SO much more in the Farm Bill than subsidies. People should read and be somewhat educated on a topic before commenting, IMHO.

In a similar governmental vein, President Bush signed the Energy Bill. (Some details here at the agriulture.com website.) With a new emphasis on automobile mileage and bio-fuels, the Energy and Farm Bills work together. But is that a good thing? I heard a little blurb on the television last night about Nitrogen and Phosphate runoff in the Mississippi Delta. Could an increased reliance on bio-fuels without proper conservation efforts cause further damage to the environment? Maybe. Only time will tell.

In my opinion, if more people, farmers and not, would exercise sustainable living practices, we would have a lot less to worry about.

Comments???

No comments: