Saturday, February 9, 2008

Biofuels Promote Global Warming?

*sniff* *sniff* I may have found the bologna for my sandwich.

So, Google News has been awash with articles about a new study in the journal Science that suggests biofuels increase greenhouse gasses, specifically Carbon Dioxide. I am no scientist but like to think my mind is fairly analytical and practical.

Given what I have read, I think there is some bologna being sliced up here. Or maybe it is a case of the media targeting something that is not necessarily true or proven, but can sell and/or increase readership. Of maybe, just maybe there is something more devious afoot.

Regardless. Biofuels exercise the natural cycle of the earth, rather than dumping CO2 right into the atmosphere. If all goes well, I will acquire a copy of this study & comment.

Stand by... More later...

2 comments:

Kush said...

As in anything it all depends on how you slice it -- to keep with the bologna analogue. If you convert corn into ethanol, the favored bio-fuel of big agribusiness and the Bush administration, you are removing food from the world market. If some untouched land in some other part of the world is clear cut, or burned to plant food, you end up with an increase in carbon dioxide emissions. In my opinion bio-fuels are a good idea, but turning corn into ethanol is a non-starter.

Farmer Ken said...

If you would have asked me a year or two ago, I would have disagreed with you more on principal than any logical basis. Now, however, I tend to agree. Thumbs up on bio-fuels but not on corn based ethanol. Geneticists have been breeding corn for more than a century to optimize food value, stand, weathering, and a host of other things. Have they bred to optimize it's starch or sugar content for ethanol production?

There are better things to make ethanol with. Corn needs to be pushed to the side for the moment.