Thursday, January 31, 2008

Catalog Season!

It has started!!! The catalogs are arriving!

Even though most of the things in them would be difficult to grow here in the desert. But, to me, they are like the old Christmas catalogs from Sears and JC Penneys. Full of fun, nifty, cool little things that I knew would never be mine. Ohhh but they are SO enjoyable to look at and drool over, time and time again!

So far I have only received two: Peaceful Valley and Musser Forests. The rest will be coming soon, I am quite sure. Instead of avoiding the mail, what with its bills and notices and junk that is never opened. Oh, but those catalogs.

As a child, these were so enjoyable. Building a fire in the heating stove, making a nice cup of hot cocoa, propping my feet up, enjoying the unique heat radiated by the burning wood, and consuming those catalogs. It could be ten degrees out or a foot of snow on the road, but I would be warm and comfortable.

Last year I purchased some Edamame seed from Peaceful Valley. Edamame are edible soybeans, very popular in Japan as a high protein snack and appetizer. Preparation is simple. One simply boils the edamame in salted water, cool and enjoy. They are a great healthy summer snack with a cold beer.

Unfortunately it is just too hot here in Southern Nevada to grow these gems. I may try again this year by planting sooner and managing the water and shade a bit better. With any luck I will have a nice mid-summer treat.

Soon I will have some soil and be in an environment that isn't so adverse to growing food. Ahhh... Then the catalogs will really be useful. For now, pardon me, I have some catalogs to read.

No comments: