Sunday, January 20, 2008

Winter and Introspection

Winter on the farm. I remember it being peaceful, introspective and at times, harsh. In some respects it was time-off. No crops or garden to work. No fences to walk. No maintenance on drainage streams. No animals to chase back into their pastures or pens.

But...


There was wood to cut and bring into the house. Feeding the animals was at times an adventure and challenge. The chickens, being cooped up most days, could generate a great deal of waste. Cleaning their abode once every two or three weeks or so could be quite harsh. Ensuring liquid water for the livestock was a real challenge when the water pipes to the barn froze solid. I remember once trying to connect a small welder to the pipes to thaw them out! Safe? Um... no.


Then there was human food. There would be weeks between grocery store trips. Planning the, at times, monthly grocery trip was no small matter for two adults and five growing kids. Storing this food in a small house was also no minor matter at times. Doubly so with two teenagers in the house.


But somehow we survived. Somehow we thrived.


Where am I going with this? Well, just a little preemptive rambling I guess. Ultimately though, my farming plans are on temporary hiatus. Due to many little things that have redirected my attention. Some good things, some not so good things.


I have been practicing my motorcycle riding skills a great deal. That's a good thing. There are also those wonderful rides I have been taking. Good for the soul but somewhat distracting from my farming and rural goals.


Then there are my well meaning projects. Some grand, others minor but all require time. Perhaps it is time for some priority readjustments. Just some redirection.


It has been more than a month since I researched anything on the farming front. Time for a little introspective review. Time to think. I am going on a ride.


Stay tuned...

No comments: