Thursday, October 23, 2008

Time to Get Dirty

Well, my little motorcycle ride across the US is done. My first goal? Getting beyond the Rocky Mountains and into farm country. With the Rockies in my rear view mirrors, I started drinking in the beauty of agriculture and rural culture. For me, it was inebriating.

The smells of the grass and trees and ripening crops awoke long dormant memories and feelings. The sight of tractors and dirty farmers and wagons and grain elevators and bales of hay brought tears to my eyes several times. This was not melancholy; it was joy.

As I rode through miles and miles of small rural blacktop roads, farmers were out there harvesting their crops or checking their cattle or repairing fences or cutting trees. Several times there was an almost primal urge to exchange my helmet for a John Deere cap, hop off the bike and get dirty.

Maybe it's time for me to get dirty.

One thing I learned from my 5800 mile bike ride is the power of persistence and believing in one's self. I may have been a relatively new rider on a very small bike but I knew I could do it. While on the last leg of my journey I wondered what this world would be like if more people persisted with their dreams and believed in themselves.

Maybe it's time for me to do more of that. Believe and persist.

No comments: