Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cars, cars everywhere.

Well, I am a bit behind in my blogging today. I had written part of two entries yesterday but didn't have the time to finish them. SO, this fine morning while driving to work, I decided to do a little non-scientific study and post about it.

I drive about twelve miles to work every morning and the same back in the evening, right up and down Boulder Highway. Anyone familiar with Vegas will probably know that Boulder Highway is less of a highway and more of a four lane city street.

Anyway, on with my study.

I was curious; how many people commuting to work were alone in cars or trucks, riding with someone else, riding a bike, or on a motorcycle. So, as safely as I could, juggling pen and cigarette, I watched and recorded. I even sacrificed my morning drive coffee for this study! Ah... What one must give up for the sake of scientific research.

Just for full disclosure, I did not count vehicles like semi-trucks, taxis, school kids on bikes, and vehicles that seemed to be business related.

Here are my un-scientific counts:
  • Single people in cars: 169
  • Multiple people in cars: 52
  • Motorcycles: 4
  • Bikes: 2

Personally, I felt this to be a low motorcycle and bike count today. I have no idea why.

So 169 people are burning up a LOT of gas, going to and fro. Another thing that bugged me was the fact that so many were driving Hummers or large pick-ups. Those things get what, ten miles to the gallon, if that?

Food for thought - what if only ten of those single passenger vehicles were motorcycles or mopeds. Not only would there be significant gas savings, but chances are good that the vehicle and insurance would cost less.

Yes, I admit that I was a single vehicle in this study. Soon, yes soon I hope to change vehicles. It will be either a small motorcycle or a horse. But, if the horse is required to wear diapers for me to ride on the street, forget it. OK. Motorcycle it is!

No comments: