Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Little Reading

Reading used to be a big part of my life as a teenager on the farm. I still remember reading lofty works from Plato, Aristotle, Thoreau, Sandberg and Emerson, among others. I fell away from that for quite a few years, well, decades. I just wanted to thank my friend Cindy for piquing my interest in this sort of literature.

I think on Sundays I will post about books that touch on rural life, nature, agricultural technology and sustainable and frugal living and farming. I hope you enjoy some of these. Links to some of these books will be at the bottom of the post, just in case you may want to purchase and enjoy a copy.


A book that my friend Cindy recommended to me, is The Life and Times of Michael K by J.M. Coetzee. This is a beautiful work that describes a man who owns almost nothing, yet survives so many hardships. It is a short book and well worth the read.


I remember reading Walden's Pond by Henry Thoreau as a teenager, but I have it on my list to read again. I may have forgotten most of it, but I do remember it as being a very nice book


Living the Simple Life: A Guide to Scaling Down and Enjoying More by Elaine St. James. This is a very nice book about simplifying one's life, whether you live in the country or the middle of New York, Chicago or LA.


It's a Long Road to a Tomato: Tales of an Organic Farmer Who Quit the Big City for the (Not So) Simple Life by Keith Stewart and Flavia Bacarella. This one is definitely on my reading list for this winter. Mr. Stewart's goals and feelings seem to be SO similar to mine. A New York city dweller who trades it all for a farm life. Highly rated on Amazon.




Life and Times of Michael K







No comments: