Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Time Certainly Is Slippery

Please pardon this poor excuse for a farming blog entry. I have two pieces in the works but they just aren't well done yet. Rather, they are quite rare at the moment.

These last few days time just seems to be slipping through my hands. Maybe it is just how life is sometimes. Work at the office and time at home as been rather demanding. My daughter is now gainfully employed at the age of 17, thank goodness. BUT, that means more work for me. She is at school all day, then home in the afternoon for a bite to eat and homework, then off to work. She doesn't drive and has no set schedule yet, so here 'taxi driver dad' sits.

The thought that I must also get a little part time job is a little pressuring as well. If I plan to attempt my plans, I REALY need to get out from under this financial rock. I am going to lay no blame here... Just going to state that I am newly divorced. 'Nuff said.

I was pleased to read on http://www.agriculture.com/ that corn harvesting in the midwest is proceeding well. I don't honestly remember corn harvesting this early. Well, my memory isn't faulty. According to USDA statistics, general corn harvest is slightly ahead of schedule. Illinois corn harvest is considerably earlier than the average harvest time.

While I do not necessarily plan on farming general commodities like corn and soybeans, I think it is still good to watch the market and remain educated. I have read that as organic beef and pork and chicken become more popular, organic animal foodstuffs will also increase in necessity. If that is indeed correct, well, organic commodities like corn, soybeans, oats and hay may well become profitable to the small farmer.

Well, stay tuned. I will have a better post tomorrow. Promise.

No comments: