Thursday, September 27, 2007

Harvest Time

Well, it is the beginning of harvest time in the midwest. I don't seem to remember it starting this early but then again, I haven't farmed in over two decades. Seems as if I have quite a bit to relearn.

After locating the USDA's Crop Progress report, I see that I am not terribly wrong. The eighteen major corn producing states are Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin.

According to the report, typically by mid to late September, only 65% of all corn has matured. This year, 80% is mature. However, overall the farmers seem to be following the trend in harvesting. Typically only 14% has been harvested by this time, whereas this year, they are only at 22%. Maturity has moved up 15% whereas harvesting has only increased by 8%. According to what I have read, this harvest delay is probably more due to the wet weather these states have been having, than anything else.

Illinois, however, is above the trend. Typically 77% is mature and 16% harvested, but this year 97% is mature and 46% harvested. So, my feeling is correct. Harvest time has moved up considerably from what I remember.

Other crops like soybeans, sorghum and rice also show similar changes. Cotton, peanuts and winter wheat seem to be operating in reverse and are a bit behind.

Early or late. It's ok. I am looking forward to it either way.

No comments: