Saturday, September 15, 2007

Research Day

Well, not entirely all research. I did work on some other necessities, but I made it a point to do a little reading. Not only was it an interesting exercise, but educational and enjoyable as well.


I had NO idea Collinsville, Illinois is known as the Horseradish Capital of the World! The horseradish farms there produce nearly 60 percent of the world's horseradish. Every year they have a festival to celebrate the pungent root crop, and honestly, it looks like a lot of fun! Bloody Mary contest, eh? Hmmm... http://www.horseradishfestival.com/


I read some information on the PawPaw, Sugar Maple, Shallots, Amaranths, Fox Tails, Celeriac, and even more. My research is solely focused on alternative crops that lend themselves to the environment in Illinois. Perhaps I will look into alternate crops for other locations later, but for now... I am focusing and enjoying.

No comments: