Friday, September 21, 2007

Do What It Takes

I am going to admit a deep, dark thing that has been a part of my life now for more that 25 years. Children, please shield your eyes. Adults, please be prepared. It's not pretty. You were forewarned...

I... Am... A...
Computer... Programmer...


There. I said it. I have come out of the digital closet. I feel SO relieved!


That being admitted to, tongue firmly implanted in cheek, I must be honest for a moment. I have successfully provided for my family for nearly twenty years practicing this profession. I am not embarrassed by it, and I have been told that my programming ability is fairly sharp.


Why do I want to farm? Because that is who I am.


Sitting down to work on the financial planning for this little venture, it comes as no surprise to me that the numbers are tight. Well, not just tight... blaring, glaring, rosy, crimson red. HOW will I pay my start-up costs? I have little savings and certainly not enough to run out and buy a chunk of land with a wad of cash.


Credit? Ya, right. I am lucky to receive credit card offers that have less than 30 percent interest! So, HOW???


Well, I have one, maybe two years before the big relocation. I have thought about pushing aside my profession for my goal of living in the country, but I firmly believe these two can live in harmony. It is simply a matter of balance. Work as a computer programmer while I work on building my farm. Programming will support my little farming excursion.


Should my farming venture become profitable enough that my employment as a programmer is no longer necessary, all the better. If that doesn't happen, and I must be a programmer for another twenty years or so, well, so long as I live in the country, I think I would be OK with that.


So, for now, I have a ton to study and plan and do. Computer books on one side of the room and agricultural books on the other. I get to dive right in the middle with a large thermos of coffee.

1 comment:

sugarcreekfarm said...

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for linking to us. And to commiserate a little - I'm a computer programmer, too :) I'm fortunte enough to work from home. We definitely wouldn't be able to do what we've done with our farm if it weren't for my income from programming, and the flexibility I have working from home. Yesterday I was able to leave work at 2:45 to go pick up a batch of chickens from the processor, and finish up my work later in the evening. My husband works full-time off-farm as a lineman. I see you lived in Cresco once upon a time - that's only an hour east of us.

Anyway, good luck with your goals. I will keep checking back on your progress.